“Surf and Social Justice” South Africa Trip
Led by Tom Hewitt MBE and Sihle Mbutho
First Tour: Mid October 2018
We are pleased to be able to offer a rare opportunity to visit South Africa for 10 days with Tom Hewitt MBE, founder of Surfers Not Street Children and Sihle Mbutho, a South African ex street child, accomplished surfer and “ambassador’ for Surfers Not Street Children.
This is a perfect opportunity to experience South Africa in a truly unique way. Not only will get a South African cultural experience, a chance to the surf on Durban's gold mile alongside local surfers involved in our work but you will also see the social justice work of Surfers Not Street Children first hand and engage with the program.
Both Tom and Sihle will share fascinating personal stories and insights throughout the trip. There will also be guest seminars throughout the trip from local South Africans who have played a role in the struggle against apartheid or other social justice issues.
You can join one of pre-existing tour dates and join a group of likeminded individuals or if your whole team would be interested in taking part we can tailor make a tour to fit your requirement.
Below are just some of the elements that are included in this tour:
- Visit the magnificent game park Hluhluwe/Mfolozi for a safari adventure.
- Talk surfing and social justice with both Sihle and Tom each day hearing their life stories and insights.
- Learn about the modern day phenomenon of street children from young women and men that have come through Surfers Not Street Children’s programs
- Be surf coached by a top level coach no matter what your level.
- Surf the warm waters of Durban and its surrounds with the ex street children of Surfers Not Street Children.
- Learn about South Africa’s history and its struggle against apartheid through meeting with local activists.
- Visit South African villages and townships meeting with local people and hearing their stories about present day South Africa.
- See firsthand the work of Surfers Not Street Children in Durban, and engage in activities with them.
This is a surf trip with a radical difference. To find out more please get in touch using the form below